Not to be missed in Mumbai: the top 10
Having spent months running all over Mumbai, day and night, I can confidently recommend the following 10 places, activities and experiences. No matter how long you’re in the maximum city, do your best to enjoy a well-rounded visit: you will be blown away!
In no particular order:
- Dress up and dine out in Bandra Many of Mumbai’s most fabulous international restaurants are located in the suburb of Bandra. Head out to enjoy Italian, Thai or any other cuisine, and you might get lucky and spot a celebrity at one of Bandra’s hot spots!
- Experience an eye-opening tour of Dharavi Dharavi slum is spread over two square kilometres and houses over a million people. However, it’s not exactly what you think. Take an enlightening tour of the area and support incredible local charities while you’re at it. Check out www.realitytoursandtravel.com for more information.
- Taste real South Indian cuisine Madras Cafe at Kings Circle at Matunga has been around since 1932, serving up the best idlis, dosas and other southern specialties. Make sure to try their delicious filter coffee: a steal at Rs 15, whereas real coffee at any other high-end coffeeshop will start at Rs 78!
- Find Bollywood wannabes and shopping bliss in Lokhandwala, Andheri Lokhandwala market is amazing for both western and Indian clothes and jewellery. Go there to see lots of aspiring actors and models, waiting for their big break!
- Enjoy an evening walk along the legendary Marine Drive Possibly the best place to be in Mumbai between 5 and 9PM is Marine Drive, where thousands of people of all ages come to walk, enjoying the weather and the view.
- See a Bollywood movie in theatres Bollywood cinema is an integral part of Mumbai culture. Go to a historic theatre in South Mumbai like the Regal in Colaba, and check out the latest ‘picture.’
- Drink fresh juice, eat snacks or taste Banarsi paan Mumbai is famous for its street stalls, featuring all kinds of fresh snacks and juice. Try any puri: bhel puri, pani puri, dahi puri, the list goes on. Cool your tongue with a sweet, fresh juice like mosambi or watermelon, and try Indian mouth-freshener paan if you’re brave enough!
- Break the dance floor at a five star nightclub Mumbai is amongst the global cities that never sleep. The night spots that stay open the latest (think 4 or 5AM) are located in beautiful hotels. Dance like crazy to the hottest western and Bollywood music, but make sure you have a couple of drinks before arriving, to be gentle on your wallet!
- Visit a Temple, Mosque, Cathedral, Gurudwara or all of the above Spirituality in all of its forms can be found in Mumbai. Visit as many places of faith as you can to get an understanding of the different beliefs that make up the feeling of the cosmopolitan, multicultural city.
- Take the local train across the entire maximum city Any time spent in Mumbai is incomplete without taking a trip in the local suburban train. The train runs from North to South Mumbai, and is as crowded, smelly and full of intensity as you would hope of any authentic Mumbai experience. Struggle against the crowds to fight your way on at any stop, and see for yourself!